Author Topic: "And all I got were these lousy termites"  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Barkeep

• EAG'er
"And all I got were these lousy termites"
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:39:30 AM »
Well leave it to the new guy to have the most difficult install... Lucky number 99.
I got to meet the lower uncton posse tonight and attempted the coilover install on my mk3 gti. Well after getting the fronts just about in we realized that a small problem had arisen. This little problem was caused by detrimental install hardware not being included... Balls  :facepalm: Then some unforeseen removal issues of the semi installed fronts and a termite infestation/spider and fly circle of life viewing and long story short back to square one. Stock suspension back on, 3 hours killed, frustrated married with children fans, "and all I got were these lousy termites".   ;D ;D

Seriously though, I really enjoyed meeting you guys tonight and had a blast even though it didn't go as planned. Thanks for putting up with the frustrating install and my mk3 madness!  I'm looking forward to chatting again and seeing this bitch on the ground. Ill hit you up tomorrow so we can set up a time.
-Evan

Offline HYPERGUY95

• EAG'er
  • Da Fuq?
Re: "And all I got were these lousy termites"
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:29:36 AM »
what wasnt included? its two bolts, a nut, and a strut mount?
craig
www.dbcperformance.com

Quote from: Zach
I've gone both ways multiple times.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline alf

• Administrator
  • EAG'er
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
Despite then headaches I had a great time hanging out with you. It was a pleasure meeting you. Those coilovers will be in in no time :-)

what wasnt included? its two bolts, a nut, and a strut mount?

It's a common issue with CX Racing coilovers, people not getting all parts necessary. There's plenty of people on vortex with the same issue.

There's a spacer that is supposed to go in between the shock to make up for the improper fitment of the mount.

As you can see in the pic the shock extends further than it should with that mounting spacer it would be perfectly flush.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:09:34 AM by alf »

Offline txjet98

• Global Moderator
  • EAG'er
  • @corradonelson
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
Should have bought my FK's  :)

Offline wetwithwaterwings

• Administrator
  • EAG'er
    • lower uncton
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
it was nice meeting you, evan.

alf found something that sounded quite familiar:

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/showthread.php?5128543-CX-Racing-coilovers/page18
It's an odd size, I had to get a new nut and a die from Tacoma Screw to clean up the threads after mine stripped in one spot.  I think it was 12x1.25, but I can't be sure without looking at my tools and they are over at my garage, sorry.  I just remember the die was not in any of the Tap & Die sets, I had to buy it separately.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics, but when tightening one of the front struts the bolt stripped the threads on part of the shaft, right in the middle.  Had to chisel the nut off and chase the threads, luckily it was only a small spot and the new nut went over the stripped part with no problem, but CX didn't even respond to my email about the problem.  It is a good product for the money, but you get what you pay for when it comes to customer service.

and good news for your house, they're flying ants, not termites.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:37:54 AM by wetwithwaterwings »
Lower Uncton

Most of us drive slow Volkswagens so the main function they serve is to drive around town and look pretty.

Offline Barkeep

• EAG'er
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
Ah ha! That's the link I was looking for about the stripped nut. Very interesting he is describing the EXACT same issue that it has stripped out the middle... Weird. I emailed cxracing with a very stern message and nothing yet... We shall see. Again, awesome meeting you guys!

Offline Zach

• EAG'er
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
Might be a good opportunity to return the new coils and buy some good used ones from a Mk1/2/3/Corrado ...there's so many used coils out there for uber cheap and they're all swappable between the cars mentioned. Not really a good reason to spend money on new IMO.

Offline Barkeep

• EAG'er
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
I got em for 580 shipped and they are fairly well built and are 32 way damping adjustable. The overall positive feedback about them and most importantly the fact they have adjustable damping sold me... Although some used fk's would have been nice  ;)

Offline Zach

• EAG'er
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
That's pretty fkn cheap! :thumb

Offline alf

• Administrator
  • EAG'er
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »
The build quality was dang nice, they reminded me of B&Gs.

Offline txjet98

• Global Moderator
  • EAG'er
  • @corradonelson
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
I got em for 580 shipped and they are fairly well built and are 32 way damping adjustable. The overall positive feedback about them and most importantly the fact they have adjustable damping sold me... Although some used fk's would have been nice  ;)

In all honesty, I got my FK's because they were cheap. However, I wish I would have nutted up and bought the CX's at the time. I like the dampening adjustability, but my favoirite thing is that they have a separate preload and ride height collar. Awesome feature, albeit slightly more expensive.

• Administrator
  • EAG'er
    • lower uncton
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
Here you can see where the threads were chewed in the middle.

Threads chased with a 12x1.25 die and sleeve fabricated since none were sent with the kit

Sleeve and nut test fit

Assembled minus top hat for test fit

6" baseline measurement (bottom of shock to spring locking collar)

85mm baseline measurement (bottom of shock to sleeve locking collar)

76mm baseline measurement (bottom of sleeve locking collar to bottom of spring adjustment collar)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:31:42 PM by wetwithwaterwings »
Lower Uncton

Most of us drive slow Volkswagens so the main function they serve is to drive around town and look pretty.

Offline Barkeep

• EAG'er
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »
Lower Uncton delivering...

Offline Zach

• EAG'er
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
Good work :thumb

I use a similar spacer with spring compressors to remove stock suspension.

Offline txjet98

• Global Moderator
  • EAG'er
  • @corradonelson
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
I'm so jealous of the preload and height adjustment collars being separate right now...

Offline Barkeep

• EAG'er
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
Well... Jake and I decided to tackle the rest of the install last night.

The fronts went in fine but the backs... Oh the backs.
 A whole new slew of problems when installing the backs. First we felt there were not enough threads so after troubleshooting that issue and seemingly rectifying it, we lowered the car and the entire rear strut mount pulled through, yippee! Going against what was recommended on a few cxracing forum threads we reused the "brass" oem washer and that seemed to fix the issue.
Putting in the driver rear went fine until attempting to tighten the nyloc nut resulted in this...

It's hard to tell but you can see this is after it broke off and we put a nyloc on it so I could get home... Seems to be holding fine but cxracing is getting an ear full of my bitching as well as me being terrified it will fail...

But here is a little before/after of the slight drop for now. It rides incredibly nice and i still need to play with the rear damping so i think i can get it near stock confort wise. These coils can go so much lower I'm confident they will lay oil pan ect which is nice to know  :thumb

So thanks again to Jake and Alf, and to Jakes lady who put up with me keeping him at the shop till midnight and still brought us dinner! Awesome people I'm very glad I've met. Ill take some pics when it stops raining and keep you guys posted on cxracings "support".

Offline Zach

• EAG'er
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »
Very noice Mk3 sir!! The Porcelain Blue looks to be in immaculate shape ...original? :like:

Offline alf

• Administrator
  • EAG'er
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »
CX racings support is horrible when i researched that vortex thread.

• Administrator
  • EAG'er
    • lower uncton
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
Very noice Mk3 sir!! The Porcelain Blue looks to be in immaculate shape ...original? :like:

you should see the interior. it's beautiful through and through.

This was far and away the most frustrating and longest install I've been involved in. The fronts due to the missing spacers and the rears for the reasons above. I believe the issue to be with the nuts the CXR provides. The three nuts are each 2mm's taller than the stock nuts, yet the threaded portion of the shock is identical in size to the stock part. Without the extra 6mm of space, there is simply not enough room for all of the hardware. As terrible as the last two evenings have been in regards to progress and failures, Evan was great to be around. Keep us posted on your dealings with CXR. Ideally, I would like to see a replacement shock, a new brass washer for the driver's side, and six stock height nuts in CXR's thread pitch. I believe with that formula, you would be happy and safe with the coils. If that size nut doesn't exist, we can get extra sleeves and shorten them by 6mm. That may allow you to safely run CXR's nuts.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:38:13 PM by wetwithwaterwings »
Lower Uncton